According to Sport.es, Spanish giants are getting closer to landing the signature of Frenkie de Jong. The Ajax youngster has been linked with a move to Spain throughout most of the summer transfer window, as the 21-year-old s stock continues to rise. He first broke into the mainstream during his time with Willem II, before switching over to Ajax where he played a big role in leading the club to the Europa League final.
There is said to be a deal in place with the player regarding the move, with de Jong clearly being interested in the idea. However, Ajax are asking for €50 million from the Spanish champions, which could prove to be a stumbling block depending on just how willing they are to invest in him.
de Jong continues to rise up through the ranks of The Netherlan…
Zambia belied their lowly world ranking to emerge as surprise Group D winners ahead of continental giants Cameroon as the Africa Cup of Nations first round came to a nerve-jangling climax on Thursday.
With a superb 2-1 win over Gabon, Zambia jumped from bottom to top of their mini-league to earn a quarter-final date with Nigeria.
World Cup qualifiers Cameroon had to come from behind to draw 2-2 with Tunisia, a result that left them second in the table and facing defending champions Egypt in a re-run of the 2008 final in Ghana.
For Tunisia and Gabon, who had shocked Cameroon in the opening game, it meant the end of the road in Angola.
Zambia, who just sneak in to FIFA s top 100 in 84th place, burst out of the blocks in Benguela, intent on bagging the thre…
Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund are close to agreeing a deal for the transfer of Jadon Sancho, according to Miguel Delaney of the .
Sancho scored 20 goals and assisted as much in 44 appearances in all competitions for Dortmund in 2019/20.
It was recently that the 20-time English champions were unwilling to match Dortmund s demands for the 20-year-old winger, but it seems a deal which would see the player leave the Signal Iduna Park for Old Trafford has moved closer to realization. Dortmund s initial valuation of the player stood at €120 million, but with Sancho desiring the move and the Bundesliga side desiring to finish shaping their squad for next season by August 10th, they are now apparently ready to accept an initial fee of £60 million (€66m) potentia…
Paris Saint-Germain will look to put their Coupe de France exit behind them when they travel to Guingamp on Saturday.
Laurent Blanc s side fell to a shock 2-1 home defeat at the hands of lowly Montpellier in the round of 32 on Wednesday, ending their quest for a trophy they have not won since 2010.
The result was a rare blip for the men from the French capital, who have been largely unbeatable in the league this season, having lost just one Ligue 1 fixture so far and have won four of their last five matches.
PSG won the reverse fixture between these sides 2-0 in August, but will have bad memories of their last trip to Stade du Roudourou, which saw them suffer a 1-0 Coupe de la Ligue defeat in 2010.
But Guingamp have been on a poor run of form of late. One win in …
Cristiano Ronaldo s refusal to come on as a substitute against Tottenham can be put down to him being the kind of player who can t accept being left out , says former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes.
Ronaldo was temporarily exiled from first-team activities by Ten Hag after refusing to enter the fray in United s 2-0 win over Spurs, before making a goalscoring return in Thursday s 3-0 Europa League victory over Sheriff.
The 37-year-old top-scored for United with 24 goals in all competitions last season, but has only made two Premier League starts since Ten Hag took charge.
Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra have defended former team-mate Ronaldo since the incident, and Scholes has now joined them, saying he understands the striker s frustration with his new …
Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh died at the age of 49 following a heart attack, the League Two club announced.
Edinburgh was hospitalised on Monday after suffering a cardiac arrest and the Englishman passed away on Saturday.
An FA Cup winner with Tottenham as a player, Edinburgh had guided Orient back into the English Football League in 2018-19, having taken over in November 2017.
We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy, said Orient chairman Nigel Travis. All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments.
The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact…
Market: Both teams to score
Odds: 7/10 @
Looking to pick up another Premier League scalp on FA Cup duties this weekend, Nottingham Forest will welcome Leicester to the City Ground on Sunday afternoon.
Starting with the hosts, after suffering a hugely disappointing 2-1 defeat away at Cardiff last weekend, there is no doubt that Nottingham Forest will be desperate for an immediate response here. Hoping to have been boosted by a weeks break, Steve Cooper s side have still gained a host of plaudits from across the Championship this season. With their sights firmly set on clinching a play-off spot this season, the one-time Swansea boss did see his side enjoying a four-match winning run prior to last weekend s defeat against Cardiff. Booking their spot in the fourth-r…
Arthur has bolstered his reputation as the heir to Xavi s Barcelona throne by setting a passing record for the last six years in LaLiga.
During Sunday s 1-1 LaLiga draw at Valencia, Arthur attempted 142 passes and completed 135 of them more than anyone in a league game this season.
The last time any LaLiga player attempted as many passes in an away LaLiga match was Xavi against Levante in November 2012.
Brazil midfielder Arthur, who moved to Camp Nou from Gremio earlier this year, has often been compared to Xavi despite wearing the number eight shirt for Barca, previously occupied by Andres Iniesta.
Despite Arthur s dominance of the ball, Barca could not find a winner at Mestalla on Sunday, with Ernesto Valverde s men now winless in four league games.
…
Bordeaux have denied demanding a fee for missing striker Emiliano Sala following his move to Cardiff City.
Sala completed a club-record transfer to Premier League side Cardiff before the plane he was aboard went missing en route to the Welsh capital from Nantes on Monday.
The search for Sala – who had been back in France bidding farewell to his team-mates at Nantes – was ended by Guernsey Police on Thursday, though the 28-year-old s family are determined to resume the operation.
Amid the heartache, reports have emerged that Bordeaux asked for a fee from Sala s transfer, believed to be 50 per cent following his spell at the club from 2012 to 2015, though the Ligue 1 outfit dismissed those claims.
Communiqué du club
— FC Girondins de Bor…
Eddie Howe paid tribute to Newcastle United s fans for their support of Sandro Tonali, who made his Premier League return in the 2-1 win over Tottenham.
Tonali came on as a 68th-minute substitute for his first league appearance since serving a 10-month ban for breaching betting regulations.
Many Italy-themed flags were on display before the game in support of the midfielder, who also appeared from the bench in the midweek Carabao Cup clash with Nottingham Forest, while a banner read: Midfield maestro from Milano .
And Howe was delighted by the Toon Army s response on the day when Alexander Isak s 78th-minute strike settled the contest.
I didn t know that was going to happen with the wall of flags, so it was a brilliant surprise, Howe said. Visually, it w…